It is hard to ignore the momentum which the UPC has gathered in the past few weeks. It has confirmed today that significant steps have been taken towards its commencement and that it can be expected to start in early 2023. This means that the Sunrise Period (when opt-outs from the new system can commence) is expected in Autumn 2022.
The steps taken in the last week include:
- The agreement of the final Rules of Procedure (to be published during the summer) and the Table of Fees, to enter into force on 1 September 2022.
- The presentation of a recommended list of judges to the Administrative Committee, expected to be adopted “before the summer break“.
- The agreement of other administrative issues such as the pension scheme and tax matters.
- Confirming the establishment of various local and regional divisions, as follows:
- Austria (Vienna)
- Belgium (Brussels);
- Demark (Copenhagen);
- Finland (Helsinki);
- France (Paris);
- Germany (Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Mannheim, Munich);
- Italy (Milan);
- the Netherlands (The Hague);
- Portugal (Lisbon); and
- Slovenia (Ljubljana).
Regional: a regional Nordic-Baltic division primarily located in Sweden (Stockholm).
About the author(s)
Alex has significant experience in patent litigation and licensing matters in the telecommunications, engineering and tech fields. Much of his experience has been multi-jurisdictional in nature.